This past week my boys have spent more time on their smartphones than anything else. The weather hasn’t been great and they have spent much more time than I would have preferred them to in the house.
They have become addicted to watching Youtube – football videos and playing Pokemon.
I saw a video about a girl who made a cinema from a box and thought what a great idea it would be for my boy to give it a go.
We get our weekly food shop delivered in a box (Gousto) so as soon as it arrived I knew instantly what we was going to do with it. I looked over at my son, who at the time was sitting on the kitchen side playing on his phone and asked him if he wanted to go to the movies. He obviously replied with a big nod of the head.
I showed him the box and explained to him that he would be making the cinema from the box. He wasn’t quite that keen on the idea at first but as I described to him in more detail on how the cinema would work, he soon became more interested in the idea.
We gathered together the equipment that we would need, which isn’t much and got started on the home cinema project.
You will need:
- A decent size cardboard box
- Scissors or a craft knife (Ask an adult for help)
- Marker pen
- An old t-shirt or some paint
- Masking tape
- A Mobile phone
- First cut away the flaps from the top of the box
- Turn the box over and place the mobile device in the middle. Draw around it
- Cut it out so you now have a hole in the top of the box
- Turn the box over and on the inside where you just cut the hole out, you need to place some more cardboard on the sides. Secure them in place with glue or tape. This will ensure that the phone will have somewhere to sit.
- Now cut out a semi circle at the bottom so that your head can fit through.
- All that’s left to do now is to decorate the box.
- Spend some time painting it or use an old t-shirt and stretch it over the box. Depending on the size of your box a medium sized top will do.
- Make sure that the neck is over the hole and secure inside with some tape.
- Et Voila!
Find a comfy spot on the floor and lay back and watch a movie. No more pain in the neck or having to hold the phone in front of you.
Check out our video on how to make the cinema.
We had so much fun making the cinema and it only took just under 10 minutes (longer if he had painted it). He is having much more fun watching movies and less time playing games.