The change is almost over night; one day you have an adoring young child who would do anything for you to make you happy and the next BAM! You’re faced with a moody, angry teen who slouches around the house and argues back at you when you ask them to do a chore.
Now, I am quite lucky that most of these signs I only had when my son went into secondary school and, to be fair, they didn’t last for long (maybe a year or so). I think it took me falling ill for him to shake his butt and get a grip with his emotions and feelings. Some of the signs are still happening and, well, I could be talking about the significant lazy other half too! (but that’s another blog post lol)
We all have our own experiences with our teens – some good, some bad. Here are some that I have experienced with my sons:
- They no longer feel the cold and go out without wearing a coat in the Winter. Wearing a coat is to uncool!
- Teenagers know everything! There is no need to use the internet anymore, just ask your teen. Oh, and they have an answer to everything too (that’s if you can hear them talking through their mumbling)
- There is no need for a cloak cupboard anymore, teens will leave their coat and bags at the front door as soon as they enter. They say it’s easier for them to grab the next day
- They have a better social life than you. As soon as they turn 13 they will be attending anyone and everyone’s party.
- They live in their bedrooms. You will never see them unless there is food on the table and it’s time to eat
- They begin to mumble in a low voice when they are talking to you. You will never make out what they are saying
- You will never get to use your own charger anymore as it will be claimed by them to charge their tablets or phones
- They want every item of clothing to be designer and are no longer happy with Primark or high street clothing
- Their friends are allowed to do EVERYTHING that are not allowed to do and you will constantly hear about a friend who can do what they want
- If they DO pick up their dirty dishes and cutlery and take it to the kitchen, it will not make it into the sink but instead it will be left next to the sink ready for the cleaning fairy to wash them
- You will find dirty, stinky socks all over the house. Say goodbye to pairing them up, you will have odd socks everywhere
- They constantly have their phone next to them, headphones plugged in. Now, I’m pretty sure that they are not even listening to anything it’s just a way for you to not talk to them
- Sleep. They can sleep all day long. It may be because they don’t got to sleep until the early hours as they have spent most of the night on social media
- There is never any food in the house even though you just filled up the cupboards and fridge with food. Either they have just eaten it all or they mean that there are no snacks for them to grab and eat straight away
- Say goodbye to that expensive hair shampoo or body lotion that you save for special occasions as it will get used almost immediately. Oh, and your bathroom will have a cloud of smoke in their from all of the deodorant that was sprayed.
Don’t worry, the teen years don’t last for long, You will soon have that loving little child who once ran from their classroom door straight into your arms because they were thrilled to see you. They no longer fit onto your lap for a cuddle and you may have to stand on a stool to hold them in your arms again but their loving and caring side soon comes back.
Do you have any signs to share?