Do you like sushi?
Sushi is so easy to make, not only is it healthy but is also very tasty. Sushi doesn’t have to have fish inside the rolls, you can use a selection of salad, vegetables or just rice on its own. They are ideal for pack lunches or picnics.
TO MAKE SUSHI YOU WILL NEED:
- Sushi rice
- Nori Sushi sheets (roasted seaweed)
- Sliced long strips of peppers
- Seafood sticks
- Sliced strips of cucumber
- Sliced strips of spring onion
- Sliced carrots
- sliced strips of salmon
- Rice vinegar
You will need a sushi bamboo rolling mat, all supermarkets stock these and only cost about £1-£2
- Boil the rice as per the instructions on the packet. The rice will need to be rinsed before cooked. Bring the rice to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and leave for 25-30 minutes with a lid on the pan. Once cooled down you can season the rice with rice vinegar by folding it into the rice.
- Place a sheet of Nori onto the bamboo mat
- Spread out the cooked rice evenly onto the Nori, leaving a 1cm gap at the top and bottom, this is to seal it when rolling. Make sure that the rice is a thin layer as it will roll easier. TIP keep a small bowl of water near by as your finger will get sticky from the rice when touching it.
- Place the fillings of your choice on the rice in a line across ways, remember you have to roll it so don’t put too much in
- Begin rolling the Nori away from you, using the mat to press the roll firmly, this takes a bit of practice but after the third roll we had it spot on. Roll the mat all the way round the Nori and press down firmly all the away along, this compresses the roll and helps to keep the shape. I taught my 11 year old how to do it an dhe found it quite easy
- Now you should have a long sausage shape which you can cut along evenly (about 1-2cm) to produce your sushi
- Serve with sliced ginger, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce or if you like it spicy, wasabi sauce
- The boys really enjoyed trying to eat their sushi with chopsticks, even the little one had a go
Our sushi went down well and was all gone in no time. We used one whole pack of rice and Nori sheets and it fed five of us.
Why don’t you give it a go, Hope you enjoy 🙂