This week our challenge set by CSMA was to try a new food, well I have been a bit lazy on the blog from what with returning to work and the children going back to school and I have found it difficult to get back into a routine. I left it too late to do a shop (I had something extravagant to try out) but instead I had to result with trying out anew recipe with what i had left in the fridge/cupboards. I guess that is just normal life!
This is week 3 of 4 for the CSMA challenge, last week it was Try out a new game, which we wrote about Balloon Pop and the week before it was to visit a new place, we went to London and done a Harry Potter tour.
My family love to try new food and don’t shy away with tasting something that is new to them, anything to tickle their taste buds. The boys get quite excited when they are served up a new recipe to try. I have always taught them to taste it first before complaining that they don’t like it as sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised at how something tastes as to what it looks like. The youngest loves his seafood, with his favourite being mussels from the shell and The eldest is beginning to enjoy eating lots more spicy food and has even started to be adventurous in cooking them
A well-balanced diet, Eating a variety of food is good for our health. Each week we try to introduce a new food into the house, wether it be a new spice, new recipe or a new fruit to try. The children now like to pick out foods at the supermarket and ask me if we can try it at home, i like to encourage this and when we are cooking it I get them to watch and help out.
Unfortunately this week we wasn’t so adventurous with our food but it was still a new recipe to try.
Pork chops Pizza
Pork chop medallions
Half a small onion chopped finely
2 garlic cloves
6 slices Bacon chopped and cubed (remove the rind)
- Place the chops under the grill until the pinkness has gone, and turn over for a few minutes.
- Fry off the onions adding the garlic and bacon in some olive oil until the bacon is nice and crispy
- Once one side of the chops are cooked and the other side has lost its pinkness, spread some tomato puree over them adding a big dollop of houmous and place back under the grill for a minute.
- Top the chops with the bacon mixture and add some of the cheese on top, place back under the grill until the cheese melts
- Repeat the last instructions
- Take out of the grill and plate it up adding some more of the bacon on top and some mixed herbs
Serve with baby potatoes and greens
We used caramised onion houmous and make sure you are generous with it, it gives a smoothness to the taste.
Hope you enjoy.
If you looking for inspiration on new recipes why not take a look at CSMA Smart Spending page for some recipe ideas on a budget