We teamed up our favourite dessert recipe with the olympics and came up with a Team GB Pavlova, made with strawberries, blueberries and cream to make the GB flag all topped onto a light crisp shell with a soft marshmallowy centre of a meringue.
3 egg whites
175g caster sugar
1tsp white wine vinegar
1tsp vanilla essence
For the filling
300g double cream/whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 120c, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
2. Separate the eggs carefully, put the whites into a clean glass bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, this should take about 2-3 minutes. Add half of the sugar and carry on whisking until it has a nice glossy look to it and the mixture is nice and stiff. Gradually whisk in the remaining sugar, then add the vanilla essence, cornflour and vinegar, these are added to give the meringue the extra stability, whisk making sure they are all mixed in.
3. Once all whisked turn the bowl upside down, the meringue mixture should not fall out of the bowl. Using a metal spoon, turn the mixture onto the greaseproof paper, making a circle and ensuring that the centre is slightly hollow to allow the filling to placed there later.
4. Bake for 1 hour or until the meringue is crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. take out of the oven and place onto a serving dish, take care that the meringue doesn’t fall to pieces.
5. Whisk up the cream and place onto the hollow centre of the meringue. Using the berries arrange them onto the cream so that it makes the shape of the flag (this doesn’t have to be GB it could be any country that you want to support)
6. Once decorated it’s all ready to serve up and enjoy whilst watching the Olympics, we ate ours whilst watching the swimming 🙂